Friday, August 15, 2014

Farm Fact Friday ~ Boy or Girl ~ Horses

Okay, we have reached the end of our "name calling session"! The final blog in this group covers horses, also referred to as: equine.

Now, I will admit it. Even though I am a farm girl through and through, I am not a horse person! Yes, I live on a cattle ranch. No, I do not own a horse. I just wanted to confess that. I feel better now.

But, I do know a little about horses. Enough to write a blog on naming. Horses have a lot of name changing going on!

So when born, a baby horse is called a: foal.



A girl foal is termed: a filly. You know, like the movie :)



A boy foal is termed: a colt.



When a filly has her first baby, she is then called: a mare.



When a colt grows older, and is no longer a baby, he is referred to as a: stallion.



The colt will become a stallion unless he is castrated, at which point he will be termed: a gelding.



Whew! We've finished our name calling adventure! Once again, have a great weekend.

Be sure to comment below if you have any farm questions you would like answered! Remember, no question is "too silly", I love to talk about agriculture and I would love to answer any ag questions you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment