Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sweet Sunday: Micah 6:8

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."
-Micah 6:8

I am so thankful that our pastor at Aldersgate Church spoke on this verse this morning. I feel like it may not be a very popular verse, but I love it!

Sometimes I hear myself praying "Lord what do you want me to do?" or "Lord how can I spread your light?", luckily, the bible has a solution! It says in the verse: "what does the Lord require of you?" Bam! Alright, thanks Lord.

So let's break down the verse (as our pastor did this morning): "To act justly..." First off, what is justice? One definition states that justice is "to treat equally". Sounds simple enough, after all, that is the golden rule right? Treat others as you would want to be treated.
Now, notice how it doesn't say "think justice" or "pray for justice" or "want justice". No, the bible says "ACT justly"; as in: act, move, go, execute, be. Our pastor made a great point, we should not pray for the outcasts, we should pray that God sends us to them.

"....to love mercy..." other translations say: to love kindness. I'm not a pastor, nor am I a bible studier, I'm just a college student. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jesus doesn't just want us to like kind people, He wants us to be kind people.
In Matthew 25:40 Jesus says "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." 
Colssians 3:23 says "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as if you were working for the Lord, not for humans."
Jesus commands us to love others with all our heart. Which, is more challenging than it seems. I'm just as guilty, if not even more guilty than some about this. Luckily for us, God's only a prayer away.

Finally, "...to walk humbly with your God."  Clearly, Jesus isn't on Earth anymore, so we may not be technically 'walking' with Jesus, but praying and reading the bible is allowing the Lord to walk on your heart, and steer the direction of your life.

So, in summary, my new favorite quote of all time:

Don't just go to church, go be the church.

Have a wonderful week!

P.S. If anyone is a parent of a girl scout, or anyone has seen girl scouts out and about around Lubbock, let me know, my thin mint need is at an all time high. I'm serious. I've been thinking about it all week.

P.S.S. If you haven't heard this song, please listen to it. It is my new favorite song, which also doubles as a great workout song because it makes me want to SHAKE! Click here to now be addicted to Mercy Me's new song!






No comments:

Post a Comment