Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sweet Sunday: 2 Timothy 1:9

"God has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time."
-2 Timothy 1:9

Ah, the first Sunday of lent. The celebration of the first Sunday of six before Easter arrives. In the traditional Catholic church, Christians are called to give something up for 40 days. This lent I've heard people giving up sodas, cursing, alcohol, chocolate and many others.

Although I am not Catholic - I'm a Methodist - I still like to give up for lent. But this year I have decided to put my own spin on it. (I'm not Catholic, so I guess this is okay :)). This year, I have decided to add to my life instead of taking out. 2 Timothy tells us Jesus has called us to a holy life.

This year for lent, I have decided for every day for the next 40 days, to go out of my way to do something nice for someone else. I'm not really sure how this is going to work, I guess I'll figure it out. But, the point is, I am going to consciously think  about bettering the world around me - one small act at a time. If you've ever seen the movie "Evan Almighty", I guess this is exhibiting an ARK: Act of Random Kindness.



Our pastor this morning encouraged us to do 3 things for lent:
        1. Connect with God every day
        2. Give something up
        3. Connect with people every day

If you're giving something up that you genuinely feel attached to, I suppose connecting with God every day will come much easier!

Happy lent, have a happy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment