Thursday, January 16, 2014

What I Learned From Livestock Judging

I hope by the end of my blog, you will have learned how all of the topics I'm about to cover actually do tie together.

So, here we go. First off, not sure if anyone else does this, but I relate almost everything in my life back to cows or judging. If you think you don't do it, think again, you're probably fooling yourself! (And also, I apologize to my non-judging friends, this blog my be a smidge confusing.)

For instance: I attended the International Livestock Congress this week in Denver, Colorado and listened to some awesome speakers give life advice. One of the speakers was talking about job placement and important traits to consider when applying for a job. I can't believe I'm giving out free advice. If you're applying for a job against me, please ignore the rest of this blog.

Loni Woolley and I after a day full of conferences. We were very thankful to have been selected to attend.

He mentioned how incredibly important it was to remain honest in everything you do and write. If you're applying for a job at Cargill, and get placed with the poultry division but have no experience with poultry, just tell them! I think this relates to being completely honest in reasons. Sometimes we want to cover things up and say it "truthfully with fluff." In a sense - you're not lying....but you're not relating the whole picture. "She could use a bit more body" and "she does not have enough rib to stay productive" are both the same thing, but totally different.

He also talked about organizing your life priorities. Making sure you meet a deadline versus searching facebook or answering emails are all problems we may face. Organizing the most important to least important items is key. Same thing in reasons. "She's a bit up in her tailhead, out in her chest and a tick tight hocked" versus "she is too tight hocked, it doesn't help she's  out in her chest and up in her tailhead." Yep, organize priorities.

And finally, my most FAVORITE advice: go with your gut. There's going to be times in life when you are faced with a tough decision. Whether it is taking a job, moving towns, or accepting change, there's not always a right answer. Just remember your gut instinct is usually right. When judging in a contest (or shows I'm finding out) decisions aren't easy. It's important to stick with your initial reaction. If you wanna do it, do it.

I think being in Denver around livestock is bringing out my judging side - oops! Good luck to all contestants tomorrow in the Carload Contest, and to all teams Friday evening at the awards banquet.

Have a wonderful weekend!
P.S. Since I have been in Denver all week, I hope I can use that as an excuse for ignoring my blog profusely. Please forgive me!

No comments:

Post a Comment